-

Get Good Grades, Get to Class, and Still Get Enough Sleep!

While some BYU students like take their chance getting insta-famous on @byusleeps, most of us prefer to sleep soundly at more regular times (and places) to better handle the demands of college life. Here are a few snapshots of my typical Monday that help me manage my time throughout the day so I can still get to bed on time and stay awake in class!



6:30am: My phone alarm goes off (pre-set for every weekday so I don't have to double check it). Before getting out of bed, I tap on my calendar app to see my day. Not only does this help jog my memory of the extra things I need to bring before I leave, the intense light from my phone screen makes sure my eyes stay open. After getting ready and packing lunch, I look over the homework I'll be doing later and head to school. If you were to steal anything else from my morning routine, I suggest bringing a large amount of snacks with you to campus. 
Mornings are valuable, so wake up on time. Getting enough sleep at night starts right when you get up! Let yourself mentally and physically prepare for what's coming your way that day. When you already know what you're going to do, you spend less of your day figuring it out - and more time getting other things done instead (not a morning person? Start here for some help getting going in the morning).


10:00am: After my first two classes, I have a thirty-minute break before my next one. I pull out one of the multiple snacks I mentioned, as well as my notes for a midterm I'm taking later today. I've been picking away at studying for it with blocks of time like this for the past week, quizzing myself and filling in the blanks in my memory.
How much can you do in 30 minutes? You would be surprised. By taking advantages of these small breaks of time you can actually accomplish tasks quicker than if you did them start to finish in one sitting. Not only is studying this way time-effective, it has actually been proven to help learners remember the content better. What could be better than that? Treat your 15 minutes like flecks of gold, and you will find all sorts of things you can accomplish with them (Here are 101 ideas to get you started!).


1:30pm: With another 30 minute break, I grab my sneakers from my locker and go for a quick run on the treadmill in the gym. I first started trying this when my new semester schedule didn't give me time for longer workouts. Now, I find I prefer to train this way because it leaves me feeling energized and refreshed, instead of too sore and tired to finish my day.
Take time to move. Exercising regularly during the day makes it much easier to establish a steady sleep pattern at night - but it is often one of the first things to slide off our calendar when we're busy. If you have been dismissing exercise for a while, try something new: experiment with a few fun physical activities a few times a week, and you'll still reap all the benefits of exercise - including deeper, more well-rested sleep (still don't believe me? Then listen to this expert instead).



7:00pm: After an afternoon shift at work and a quick dinner, I head over to my boyfriend's house. We usually talk about our day for a few minutes and then settle in to do our homework side by side. Keyboard clicks are occasionally interrupted by questions about our plans this Friday, and how I'll be finishing some assignments Thursday night to make sure I'm free. While there, I get a text from a classmate asking if I'm free tomorrow night to meet up and review for a class she missed. I pull out my calendar, bump a few time blocks around, and tell her I'm good to help out.
Plan ahead to stay ahead. I have learned that I can have all the fun I want if I plan well enough for it. Start with a monthly calendar of all your due dates and events to forecast busier weeks. With this step done, create a weekly reusable template for classes, work shifts, homework, and more. Then, schedule time on a weekly basis for other things that are important to you such as date night, volunteering, or seeing the Greatest Showman for the eighth time. When  you work within a template, you'll find it easier to move tasks around instead of opting for all-nighters when unexpected things come up last minute.



9:30pm: My phone buzzes with a reminder that I need to go to sleep, so I drive back home. I enjoy my thirty minutes of journal writing, scripture study, packing my backpack for the next day, and - of course - usually double checking tomorrow's calendar to make sure I haven't forgotten anything.
Sleep loves consistency. How do you sleep like a baby? Ask any parent and they'll tell you right away: establish a routine. Going to bed on time can be tricky when your mind is still busy with work, so try to be firm in your stopping point for the evening and relax before sleeping (watch this video for 5 things to include in your evening routine).


Need more ideas? 

Check our calendar to attend a Time Management Workshop, or schedule a quick and easy 1-on-1 appointment with a Student Learning Mentor on any school day!

You can find @byusleeps on instagram, twitter, and buy their gear at byusleeps.storenvy.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment